Monday, November 06, 2006

What's my problem...

What's my problem...

I am sorry I do not write very often but I am not very good at writing and when I think of something, it usually sounds dumb.

Anyway...I did not have a very good Sunday. My wife works night shift and she worked this weekend 7pm-7am so she sleeps during the day. Therefore I had to take my 2 boys to church by myself. Ok I know what you are thinking. Big Deal..many people do that everyday, which is true. I have a good friend who has 3 kids under 5 which she takes out to parks and events much more than I do. And our pastor's wife takes care of 5, yes, 5 boys. So why am I whining. I did not want to be a stay-at-home dad but this is where God has placed me and I love my boys.

After church came lunch time and then nap time. Ahh naptime!! Now I could watch football!! Redskins and Cowboys at 1pm. Great rivalry. As a Cowboy fan the game started out well. A great defensive stand at the 1 yard line to prevent a Redskin touchdown. But on the next play the Cowboys gave up a safety. I was so excited after the defensive stand and then later when Dallas scored a touchdown. It was then I realized something. I was more excited about this "game" than my kids or other things in my life or even God. Don't misunderstand me. It is just a game and I do love God, my wife, and my kids more than football and I do not believe emotions should rule our decisions but I just wondered why I was feeling this way.

As the game progressed, my mood went up and down until at the end when the Cowboys lost, I felt empty and frustrated...but it is just a game. Something that made me feel a little better, sadly enough, is when so other teams that I did not like lost. How mean is that!

Just when I am in my pity party, God reminds me of how lucky I am and how thankful I should be. I was reminded of a friend of mine who's father was in a car accident earlier this year. She is a strong Christian and her dad is too. He suffered a lot of injuries including a damaged spinal cord. He is paralyzed from the waist down. He is mostly bed bound but is going through rehab. You can read about his story at:
http://chrisblaise.com/index.asp

Well just the summerize, I am grateful for my life even though my emotions do not always show it. And we should not be ruled by our emotions.

Rich

1 comment:

samurai said...

I too struggle with mood swings over football games. I think God uses these times to help us to grow.

Bravo for hearing the Holy Spirit talk to you.

I would also like to encourage you to never worry about sounding dumb. These things (blogs) should be more for your growth and not what I (or anyone else) might think.

Just go with it. :)