Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Star

The Star.---

I am a football fan. And no matter what, for some reason I am a Dallas Cowboy fan. I first started watching football in 1980 when I was 9 years old. My grandad is a big sports fan and his favorite is football--the Washington Redskins which is the closest team to where I grew up in Virginia. Now the most logical and most popular reason to pick a favorite team is because of proximity which is the way the team makes money--local support. Well not me, my grandad was happy to have me watch football with him but he did not pressure me into liking a certain team so I was on my own.

Some people pick a team for very subjective reasons, a team's color, a spouse or a friend's favorite, well I have a more base reason, one which I am not very proud of but it is true none the less. When I started watching football I noticed something, not on the field but on the sidelines---the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. As a 9 year old beginning the transition between boyhood and manhood, the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders had made up my mind.----plus I have always liked stars.

I think my choice was good, they have had some good coaches-Tom Laundry, Jimmy Johnson, The Tuna, also not 2, 3, or 4 but 5 super bowl wins(record) tied with Pitt and San Fran. The most Super Bowl appearances 8. Most points total in the Super Bowl with 221. I am no band wagon fan though. I have been through the 1-15 season and I have known the good times. So the question remains what will happen this season. There is always the phrase "Any given Sunday".....Of course now we have Sat., Mon., and Thursday games.

Rich

1 comment:

samurai said...

The best part of today - there are no teams with a loss today! :)

I can proudly boast - MY TEAM - The CARLONINA PANTHERS - are UNDEFEATED! *LOL*

I liked the post. And the honesty. :)

Take care. :)