Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Silly Parents

This week my 4 year old son started preschool. This made my wife and i very nervous. She had to work 3 days straight, 12 hr night shifts (she is a RN) so she didn't get to see him off to school. The preschool is through HeadStart and the county so there is bus service. However we were told it would not be available to us. Therefore Tues (the first day of preschool) I loaded the kids into our jeep at 7:30am and the bus pulled up. After discussion I took him to school and the next day (today) he rode the bus.

My wife and I were nervous for him as any parent would be, but we have extra stressers. Our 4 year has been diagnosed with High Functioning Autism. The preschool is for special needs kids. At first glance he seems pretty normal and he is smart--letters, numbers, colors, he talks all the time, no big physical problems. He does have some social problems interacting and playing with others. His fine motor skills are not up to par, like writing. He likes to quote tv shows. The preschool is very group oriented where there is a lot of group interaction which is what he needs.

Why we are silly is because we expected him to cry or refuse to go the school, even though he has been in daycare two different times (just for a few months total). He went to school as was fine, some first day jitters, but today he was on the bus which climbed right up into. We have been praying for him. We do often. But we couldn't sleep well. I guess every parent goes through this but I believe I need to rely on God more--His strength, His peace.

Well that is all for now. I know God will work it out in the way He wants it and to His glory.

1 comment:

samurai said...

Simply amazong... we have to help them... then send them off... even when they have special needs...

Praying for you guys...